New Gobbagombalin Parkland
Published: 15 Nov 2019 5:16pm
Basketball and BMX, or maybe a flying fox and fitness stations – no matter your favourite leisure time activity, Wagga City Council has got it covered in plans for the new Gobbagombalin Parklands.
Council has released its final plan for the 4.7-hectare parklands development after extensive community engagement over 12 months which helped develop a vision for a fun space to explore and enjoy.
“The community told us what they would like to see in their park and we’ve developed a plan to reflect that feedback,” Council Strategic Asset Planner Ben Creighton said.
“It’s a large space to develop and what we have planned has been well received across the community who can’t wait for this project to get underway.”
Mr Creighton said the $500,000 development has been funded over the next two financial years and has been prioritised to meet community requests and available budget.
Work on Stage 1 is expected start before the end of this year.
“This is going to be a family-friendly space,” Mr Creighton said.
“The basketball court, flying fox and BMX track were popular inclusions along with the fenced off-leash dog park.”
The two stages of construction across two financial years are:
* Construction of three shelters with a table setting
* Install eleven bench seats located along the pathway
* Construct a single cubicle toilet near the existing BBQ shelter and playground
* Construct a 10m x10m basketball court near the existing BBQ shelter
* Install a water bubbler next to the existing BBQ shelter
* Construct new sections of path where required to complete a circuit around and through the parklands
* Plant clumps of native trees (similar to what is currently in the park)
* Improve the existing irrigation system
* Install additional parking bay stops.
* Plant advanced deciduous trees around the perimeter of the parkland
* Install combination (soccer/rugby) goal posts
* Install a double flying fox/cableway
* Install four fitness stations around the path circuit
* Install rubber softfall under sections of the playground (swing set, carousel, and slide exits)
* Install a shade sail over the existing playground
* Construct a dog off-leash area
* Construct an asphalt sealed BMX bike track.