Immediate changes announced for Glenfield Road Animal Shelter
Published: 29 May 2018 4:25pm
Immediate changes announced for Glenfield Road Animal Shelter - 4 May 2016
City of Wagga Wagga General Manager Alan Eldridge has today announced a number of changes and actions following allegations of animal cruelty at Glenfield Road Animal Shelter.
“There have been mistakes at the shelter in the past, today we are announcing a number of actions to ensure these issues are never repeated,” Mr Eldridge said.
“This is an emotional topic for many people, myself included being an animal lover, and I want to assure the community that animals at the shelter are well cared for and we are working to continue to improve animal welfare at our facility.”
Since taking up the role of General Manager, Mr Eldridge has taken a personal interest in matters at the animal shelter and has announced the following immediate actions:
- The Manager Environment and Recreation Services will take over management of the shelter from senior staff in the interim while all issues are thoroughly investigated and to allow for third party validation of the facility.
- Implementing the recommendations from the recent service review, including customer service.
- Council’s Governance section will review current practices and ensure Council is meeting its legislative obligations.
- An automatic watering system for kennels will also be investigated.
- Recently ordered bedding for the dog kennels arrived today and has been installed.
- Rectifying the issues with the in-floor heating.
“We’re committed to animal welfare and process and policy changes have and will be continued to be made as we address the concerns being aired,” Mr Eldridge said.
“While many members of the community have concerns about this issue, I ask that you work together with Council to ensure we are providing the best possible care for all animals at the shelter going forward.”