Mayor urges community to submit their preferences for Stronger Country Communities Funding
Published: 22 Aug 2017 5:43am
With a large number of NSW Government funding opportunities currently available, Wagga Wagga City Council is seeking input from the community to help prioritise the shortlist for one of these grant programs.
Council staff have identified a shortlist of infrastructure projects identified during strategic planning consultations that also fit the selection criteria for the Stronger Country Communities Fund (SCCF), where each project must be between $250,000 and $1M.
The shortlist is as follows:
- Female change room facilities at three sportsgrounds
- Develop adult laydown change facilities in the CBD for people with a disability
- Social infrastructure for the nine rural villages in our community
- Upgrade and enhance existing parks, playgrounds and community facilities
- Upgrade amenities at Anderson Oval and French’s Fields
- Install footpaths to connect our communities
Mayor of the City of Wagga Wagga Councillor Greg Conkey OAM said Council must work within strict deadlines set for the application process, so it is important that everyone nominates the projects that are most important to them before Friday, 1 September.
“This shortlist features projects suggested in recent consultations for the Activation Strategy, Recreation and Open Space and Community Strategy (ROSC), the Disability Inclusion Action Plan, visits to local areas in Council’s engagement truck Charlie and other contributions,” he said.
“If you can think of another project that fits the funding criteria, I encourage you to nominate it for consideration in year two and beyond of the Stronger Country Communities Fund program, or potentially for some of the other funding sources emerging from the NSW and Federal governments.
“Please also keep in mind that just because a project isn’t on this list does not mean Council is not seeking funding sources for it elsewhere, where that particular project may have a better chance of being successful due to the specifics of the application criteria.”
The SCCF program targets infrastructure projects in regional NSW that enhance the vibrancy and attractiveness of these areas to live and work, and can involve:
- Building new community facilities to be shared by all within the community — such as parks, playgrounds, walking or cycle pathways
- Refurbishing existing local facilities — such as schools and health centres, community centres or libraries
- Enhancing local parks and the supporting facilities — such as kitchens and toilet blocks
Members of the community are encouraged to submit their top three projects from the shortlist or nominate a new project for consideration in one of the following ways before Friday 1 September.
- Online: wagga.nsw.gov.au/sccf
- In person: hard copy forms are available at the Customer Service Desk or by request
- Phone: 1300 292 442
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: PO Box 20, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650