Seventeen local roads to be resealed as part of City of Wagga Wagga’s annual maintenance program
Published: 09 Jan 2017 3:49pm
About 180,000 square metres of local roads will be resealed as part of annual maintenance works starting from Tuesday 10 January.
The City of Wagga Wagga undertakes its reseal program throughout summer and early spring each year with parts of Fernleigh Road, Lake Albert Road, Docker Street and Kincaid Street among the 17 to be resealed.
Supervisor Wearing Operations Lee Shoemark said resealing is a vital part of Council’s maintenance program.
“A road reseal is where a new layer of stone and bitumen is applied over the existing surface, which helps keep moisture out of the road base and increases friction for car tyres,” he said.
“Without preventative maintenance like resealing, the life of the road is greatly reduced and it’s more likely to produce potholes and other defects.”
The first half of the annual resealing program has been scheduled for January, with dates dependent on contractor availability and weather conditions. The remainder of the program will be scheduled following the completion of stage one.
Traffic conditions throughout the city will change during the reseal program for both the works and preparation works, including road closures and partial road closures
“We ask motorists to take care while the works are taking place and there may be some minor traffic delays due to the partial lane closures,” Mr Shoemark said.
“There will also be some loose stones following the works as the aggregate needs two to three weeks to lock into place after a reseal.
“A street sweeper will return to the reseal sites after this period to remove any remaining loose stone.”
For full details on changes to traffic conditions during the reseal program, visit www.wagga.nsw.gov.au/roads.
Annual resealing program
Stage one schedule:
- 10-11 January: Coleman Street (road closure)
- 12 January: Flinders Street (delays), Johnston Street (road closure)
- 13 January: Urana Street (road closure)
- 14 January: Faye Avenue (road closure)
- 15-16 January: Chaston Street (road closure)
- 17-18 January: Fernleigh Rd (road closure)
- 19-20 January: The Esplanade (road closure)
- 21 January: Lake Albert Road (closure)
Stage two (dates to be confirmed)
- Beckwith Street
- Best Street
- Docker Street
- Kincaid Street
- Morrow Street
- O’Reilly Street
- Tarcutta Street
- Thompson Street
For full details, visit www.wagga.nsw.gov.au/roads
What is resealing?
Resealing is a common preventative road maintenance technique where a new coat of bitumen and stone/aggregate is applied over an existing surface.
The City of Wagga Wagga’s annual reseal program extends the life of local roads by:
- Increasing the surface texture for better tyre friction
- Sealing cracks in the existing surface to protect the pavement beneath from moisture
- Preventing the existing surface from further oxidisation (UV degradation)
- Maintains the surface to a good condition