Safety and access improved, as new roads into Bomen open to traffic
Published: 20 Sep 2017 4:50pm
Two sections of the Bomen Enabling Roads project will open to traffic this afternoon.
Motorists travelling through Bomen will now drive along Dorset Drive and under the new road underpass. The new access links Bomen Road to Byrnes Road.
As well as enhancing access into the City’s largest industrial hub, the opening of Dorset Drive and underpass also significantly improves road safety in the area by closing the Dampier Street level crossing.
“The level crossing passed over the main Sydney to Melbourne rail line. The closure of this road has major safety benefits for Bomen motorists and was a key objective in the delivery of the Enabling Roads project,” City of Wagga Wagga General Manager James Bolton said.
“The opening of the road and underpass is another great milestone in the delivery of the Bomen Enabling Roads project, which is one of the largest infrastructure projects in the City’s history.”
Connections to the Olympic Highway, to be known as Merino Road, and new access into the Livestock Marketing Centre, off Dorset Drive, will complete the Bomen Enabling Roads project. These components are expected to be delivered by the end of October.
“We look forward to officially opening and celebrating the completion of the Bomen Enabling Roads project later in the year,” Mr Bolton said.
“Once complete, this project will open the way for potential industry investment in Wagga Wagga, which will continue to strengthen our local economy.”
Bomen Enabling Roads: works to date
- Earthworks began in November 2016
- All culverts installed at road crossings with drainage and kerb installed along Dorset Drive
- Road pavement works complete with 65,000 tonnes of gravel used in the project
- All underground services installed
Benefits of Bomen Enabling Roads
- Cater for future traffic demand
- Improve and address existing traffic constraints
- Address significant safety concerns
- Stimulate economic growth by opening up industrial zoned land in Bomen Business Park
- Support the potential development of the RiFL Hub