$65M blueprint for Bolton Park sporting precinct to go on public exhibition
Published: 18 Dec 2018 2:27pm
The first steps towards rubber-stamping a proposed $65M complete redevelopment of the city’s Bolton Park Precinct were taken by Wagga Wagga City Council tonight.
Council endorsed at its 17 December Ordinary Council Meeting that the draft master plan now go on public exhibition towards the development of a final plan.
Public submissions and feedback on the draft plan will help form a report to go back to Council next year.
It is envisaged the upgrade of the facility will be to a standard that enables it to cater for elite level sporting events and allow for the future growth of the city.
Mayor of the City of Wagga Wagga Councillor Greg Conkey OAM said the draft master plan outlined an exciting future for the city’s main sporting and recreational precinct.
“It showcases the potential we have to develop the Bolton Park Precinct to a level which is in line with Wagga Wagga being recognised as a growing regional capital,” Cr Conkey said.
“A masterplan puts a vision on the table and gives Council a goal to aim for. We’re now asking the public for their views and that feedback will assist in developing the plan further.”
Cr Conkey said all of the projects and actions identified will require a detailed business case to confirm project feasibility, project cost estimates and allow for their consideration against all other Council priorities.
The masterplan is an estimated $65M project over the lifetime of the plan.
“It is not intended that all projects be completed concurrently,” Cr Conkey said.
“The plan is to be used as a guide for future development and implemented as growth, community demand and budget allows.”
Key items considered and included in the draft Master Plan:
- Development of a Regional Sports Hub: the co-location of administration facilities with elite level sporting and training facilities for a wide range of sports
- Robertson Oval improvements: Included are new scoreboard, lighting, grandstand, landscaped hill seating, change rooms, hospitality and corporate boxes, a second netball court, indoor cricket training facilities
- Jim Elphick Tennis Centre improvements: Courts redevelopment and new amenities
- Geoff Lawson Oval improvements: Expansion, field and pitch improvements
- Bolton Park amenities: New amenities in relocated position
- Gymnastics facility redevelopment: Relocated as part of the Sports Hub
- Oasis redevelopment: Includes 50m indoor pool, splash park and water slides
- Demolition of Bolton Park Stadium: 40-year-old building does not meet community expectation or standards
- Car parking: Upgrade current carparks to multi-deck
- Integration with PCYC: Allow for movement between the two facilities
- Events and conferencing: Cater for more than 2000 people
- Skate Plaza: Spaces for youth, and skate facilities and paths
- Croquet: Liaising with the club
The draft masterplan will be placed on public exhibition between 20 December 2018 and 14 February 2019, inviting submissions until 21 February 2019. During the exhibition period, community members can accessing the plan and make a submission online at wagga.nsw.gov.au/public.