Vehicles on Lake Albert Road with VMS board with roadworks sign

Projects & Works

An extension to Lake Albert Road Upgrade works

Published: 01 Feb 2023 10:07am

Night works are set to commence next week on resurfacing a section of the northern end of Lake Albert Road, as part of the $4.8 million project to rehabilitate one of Wagga Wagga’s busiest thoroughfares.

Wagga Wagga City Council at its ordinary meeting on Monday night (30 January) agreed to extend the scope of the most recent Lake Albert Road Rehabilitation program, using a surplus of grant funding made available after the initial Stage 3 works came in under budget.

The extension has also been approved by Transport for NSW.

Road works on Lake Albert Road

Stages 3A and 3B of the project to remove and replace the Lake Albert Road surface and replace damaged kerb and guttering were completed in January 2022.

This additional section of works will see a 380m stretch of the road from Warrawong Street to and including the Copland Street intersection resurfaced, with night works scheduled to start on Monday 6 February, weather permitting.

Council’s Director Infrastructure Services Warren Faulkner said Fulton Hogan contractors have been engaged to undertake the pavement rehabilitation works.

“The night works will involve removing the existing pavement by milling it out and replacing it with a new thick layer of asphalt,” Mr Faulkner said.

“This is the same process employed on the earlier stages of the Lake Albert Road Rehabilitation project, which covered the section from Warrawong Street south to Kooringal Road.

Road works on Lake Albert Road

“The result will be a fantastic new surface on one of the city’s most important thoroughfares.”

The new works are expected to take just over a week to complete, depending on weather conditions.

During the works, Lake Albert Road will be closed to through traffic at the roadworks site between the hours 6pm to 6am, with detours via Lord Baden Powell Drive and Railway Street.

Vehicular access for residents and emergency services within the roadworks will be made available.

“The road works are being undertaken at night to minimise inconvenience to road users and surrounding residents and for the safety of construction staff working on the site,” Mr Faulkner said.

“We apologise for any inconvenience this work may cause and appreciate the patience of residents and road users.”

The project is being funded via a 75 per cent contribution from the Australian Government and NSW Government under Round One of the Fixing Local Roads program, with the remaining 25 per cent of funding being provided from Council.

Road works on Lake Albert Road

Stage 1 of Lake Albert Road, the section between Fay Avenue and Lord Baden Powell Drive, was completed in December 2018.

Stage 2 completion, between Stanley Street and Kooringal Road, was achieved in November 2019.

Stage 3A from Lord Baden Powell Drive to Warrawong Street and Stage 3B from Stanley Street to Fay Avenue were completed in January 2022.