Summary of Council’s 13 March 2023 Ordinary Meeting
Published: 14 Mar 2023 1:17pm
Marrar Street, North Wagga Wagga development application
Council resolved to approve a Development Application for the construction of a shed to be used as seven individual depots at 114-116 Marah Street, North Wagga.
RP-1 DA22/0568 - CONSTRUCTION OF SHED FOR USE AS SEVEN DEPOTS WITH ASSOCIATED PARKING AND LANDSCAPING AT 114-116 MARAH ST NORTH WAGGA WAGGA NSW 2650; LOT 345 DP1124792.
Councillor Delegate Reports
Council received delegate reports from councillors who attended the Switch 2022 Conference and in relation to the Wagga Wagga delegation to Council’s Sister City of Nördlingen, Germany.
Cultural and economic opportunities arising from the Sister City visit were highlighted, with one particular visit to a local business with international clients being further considered by Council at the Confidential session of the meeting, to provide further information on a potential international investment opportunity.
CR-2 NÖRDLINGEN 2022 DELEGATE REPORT
CR-1 SWITCH 2022 DELEGATE REPORT
CONF-3 POSSIBLE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY ARISING FROM THE SISTER CITY VISIT TO NORDLINGEN
Council receives Zero-Based Budget report
Council resolved to receive a report on the options surrounding a zero-based budget approach for Council. Council will now undertake the proposed zero-based budget program across the three areas identified in the report; and reassess the zero-based budgeting program on completion of those three areas, being the Oasis Swimming Centre, Development Assessment and Governance and Risk.
RP-2 RESPONSE TO NOTICE OF MOTION - PROPOSED ZERO-BASED BUDGET APPROACH
Financial performance report as at 28 February 2023
Council has approved the proposed 2022/23 budget variations for the month ended 28 February 2022, and the proposed budget variations to the 2022/23 Long Term Financial Plan Capital Works Program including future year timing adjustments and new projects.
Operating and capital budget variations for 28 February 2023 include:
- Apex Park Playground Climbing Net Replacement: $45K
- Wagga Wagga Airport Upgrade Business Case Funding: Council has been successful in securing Regional NSW grant funds of $199K under the RNSW – Business Case and Strategy Development Fund for the development of a business case for upgrades to the Wagga Wagga Airport.
- Road Works Funding: Council has been successful in securing Transport for NSW grant funds of $4,211,000under the Regional and Local Roads Repair Program. The grant funds will be directed towards corrective maintenance works and repair of potholes on regional and local roads within the Local Government Area (LGA).
- Bridge Inspection Funding: Funds have been allocated for Council staff to engage a consultant to undertake a Level 2 inspection of all vehicle, rail and pedestrian bridges throughout the LGA.
- Gissing Oval Change Rooms Refurbishment Funding: Council has been successful in securing grant funds of $100K from the NSW Office of Sport under the Female Friendly Community Sport Facilities and Lighting Upgrades Grant Program. The refurbishment of the existing amenities and the construction of two female friendly change rooms will increase the capacity to host competitions and training at Gissing Oval.
RP-3 FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE REPORT AS AT 28 FEBRUARY 2023
Review of Finance Policies
Council reviewed and endorsed the following policies:
- The Loans to Community Organisations Management Policy;
- Financial Assistance Policy, and
- Financial Hardship – Payment Arrangements and Waiving of Interest Policy
The draft policies will now be placed on public exhibition for a period of 28 days from 17 March 2023 to 14 April 2023 with public submissions invited until 28 April 2023. Following this period of public exhibition Council will receive a further report following the public exhibition and submission period.
RP-4 REVIEW OF FINANCE POLICIES
Council resolved to send representative Councillors to the following conferences:
- Cr D Hayes will attend the 2023 National General Assembly (NGA) of Local Government Annual Conference with Mayor Cr D Tout. Cr R Foley is the alternative Councillor.
- Cr McKinnon to attend the 2023 Floodplain Management National Conference in Sydney from 23 to 26 May 2023.
RP-5 2023 NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT ANNUAL CONFERENCE
RP-6 2023 FLOODPLAIN MANAGEMENT NATIONAL CONFERENCE
Revised Council Meeting Schedule
Council approved the addition of an Ordinary Meeting of Council, to be held 26 April 2023.
RP-7 REVISED 2023 COUNCIL MEETING SCHEDULE
Provision of Trade Services
Council resolved to accept offers of the trade service professionals listed in the Provision of Trade Services report. Twenty conforming offers were received from professional trades and services.
CONF-1 RFT2023-17 PROVISION OF TRADE SERVICES
Appointment of co-opted members to Floodplain Risk Management Advisory Committee
Council resolved to appoint two community representatives as co-opted members who reside within the North Wagga Wagga levee system as contained in the Floodplain and Risk Management Advisory Committee report.
Council will appoint one community representative as a co-opted member who resides within the Uranquinty area.
CONF-2 APPOINT CO-OPTED MEMBERS TO FLOODPLAIN RISK MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE